Many residents have asked, “Where can I find information about what’s happening in the state house?”
It can be challenging to follow news about state politics, legislation and policies. We need an informed public to ensure that state actions and decisions reflect your concerns and priorities. I hope this listing supports your efforts to stay informed and stay engaged.
- The State Legislature website provides information, language, co-sponsors and status on bills, links to their public hearings, as well as information on how to participate in public hearings. It also includes the journal, which details the work of the House of Representatives and the state Senate. You can set up an account with some of your favorite bills for an easier way to monitor their progress.
- State House News Service – offers in depth comprehensive resource for all things happening in the State House: hearings, conversations, interviews with members of the legislature on a variety of topics, a new “conference committee scorecard” and more. Lots of information for a subscription, paywall will tend to be across all articles.
- Commonwealth Magazine – produces another great source of information on Massachusetts politics and policy. (see also information on their Codcast podcast below)
- POLITICO-Massachusetts Playbook – delivers FREE weekday (M-F) e-mail newsletter includes the latest news and analysis on Massachusetts politics and policy.
- AXIOS-Boston – a new addition to the weekday (M-F) daily update on Massachusetts politics and policy. You can subsctibe to their free daily e-newsletter.
- WBUR weekday newsletter – another weekday e-newsletter and although not completely focused on MA State House activities, it includes coverage on state politics and policy.
- MASSterList – another weekly free e-news that offers information on current issues and policies, as well as a job board in government and advocacy.
- The Boston Globe – yes, the Globe covers the legislature and issues before it, but be forewarned it comes with a heavy eastern Massachusetts/Boston perspective and there’s a paywall. Our public libraries, however, offer a free service where you can search articles of interest by topic, here.
- The Boston Herald – yes, the Herald also covers the legislature, and it does so from a heavy eastern MA/Boston perspective as well.
WEEKLY / PODCASTS
- The Horse Race – weekly podcast on Massachusetts politics, policy and elections.
- The Codcast – weekly podcast on Massachusetts politics and policy delivered by Commonwealth Magazine (see above)
- The Scrum – weekly politics podcast from WGBH News, Boston’s PBS and NPR affiliate focuses on Boston and Massachusetts politics.
- Beacon Hill in 5 – weekly check-in at the Statehouse from New England Public Media, gives a good look at the week ahead in MA politics.